Capponellan Wood, Durrow, Co. Laois.
Map of Capponellan Wood.
An old estate wood, Capponellan was originally part of the Castledurrow estate. The woods were originally established to provide game cover and carry blocks of beech, Scots pine, Norway spruce, Sitka spruce intermixed with occasional oak, ash, birch, sally and hazel. The Erkina river flows through the northern end of the property.
On the opposite side of the N8 from the car park is the property known as Bishops wood. The Erkina river flows by at the end of the property where water lilies are growing in abundance. In the 1700’s, mass used to be celebrated in Bishop’s Wood. It was here, that a Bishop who was celebrating mass, was seized upon by his persecutors tied him to the “Bishops tree” where he was left until he died. A cross has been erected where the original tree was.